BitchyList

Sunday, June 01, 2008

NoobTimes: Stalker Song - Stepping In The Dark Side

The other day I got all wet to write at once what was supposed to be posted here, but I didn't have much time, la bohême was already waiting for me, but I swear that it was hardfuck to leave and forget the PC's amplifiers pumpin the Missy Elliott out into my eardrums. However it's not only hers today's Stalker Song, but of a whole genre that not even Madonna, with her new reinvention, nor Mariah made me feel as curious about it as Nelly Furtado did in the last few days. The genre in question is the controversial Black Music, with richer variations than the prejudice allowed me to see.

Missy Elliott is a rapper, fact. But what I didn't know how well produced and conceptual her albums were. Timbaland's little friend, they were two of the responsibles for a whole revolution on Hip Hop that happened on the late 1990's - adding more elaborated beats and percussions, with details that transcended the repetitive basis of traditional Rap.

But Lucas, in spite of being generally dumbstruck with Missy's work, chose as her stalking feat one of her most bizarre songs: Get Ur Freak On, that already shook my dancefloor dreams, but now it has an even stronger taste of novelty, considering that its genre is my newest curiosity.

However, it's Esthero, a Canadian who does trip-hop that showed me how far and yummy Black Music can go. Mixing Soul, Hip Hop, Rap and Caribbean music, thus read Esthero's music may sound like a big giant mess, but in her second album, Wikked Lil' Grrrls - for exemple, - everything's perfectly harmonized; with production having instruments coming in and out with perfect timing, the songs' orchestration is a big guy's thing! And she's only 29!!!

Ledgend has it, that after leaving home at 16 and going by herself for Toronto, Esthero passou started to sing at open mic bars while worked at several places to earn some cash. Then she met a pair of managers who took care of her career until she was 18, when they set up a meeting with Canadian EMI's president, Michael Mccarty, who - amazed by the girl's charm - even withou hearing her singing a single note booked and paid for a demo's recording sessions.

Ever since Esthero is declared influence for the likes of Nelly "Nellstar" Furtado. It was through her that I came to know Esthero, years ago when I became the Nellstar's fan I came to know a beautiful song called I Feel You, b-side from I'm Like A Bird's single, that features Esthero. However, twas just now that I came to download and know wonderful songs like Thank Heaven 4 You, Wikked Lil' Grrrls, Bad Boy Clyde and My Torture. And it's exactly it that is on video bellow.
Bellower, Missy's!











No comments: