BitchyList

Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Summer Journals - Part 6

The 7th Of January, 2006 – “The Art”

I really could not not mention the importance of movies in my summer. Last year, trapped in laziness, I failed to watch many great films on theatres, and now DVDs tend to bore me. This year, however, since I don’t have much to do (this is me being very unfair about Salvador – so don’t take me so serius), I go to the movies.

First one I saw this summer was King Kong. I had great expectations about this. Kong + Peter Jackson + Naomi Watts + Adrien Brody… c’mon! Well, I got a bit disappointed, for it turned out to be less than I expected. The cast was, in my opinion, wasted (I still loved Watts trying to amuse the big monkey, but it started to bore me after a while); besides, the real star is King Kong, aka the special effects. The movie is a visual feast and for that deserves to be watched. It wins for its entertaining capacity, but when Jackson tries to add a deep and dramatic tone to the narration (the 1929 crisis scenario, the mystery about the kid of the ship – that ended not being solved – and his relationship with the black cool guy, etc etc), it ends up being very pretentious.

Later on, I saw The Producers. Ha! Amazing!! Come on, anything that has Uma Thruman deserves to be watched! (Even crappy Be Cool – although I don’t have the guts to spend my money renting it.) Anyways, The Producers was the first musical I ever saw on the silver screen and it was dazzling. The cast is unquestionable (Uma , Nathan Lane and Mathew Broderick are G-d and Will Ferell is perfect), the songs keep coming in and out of my brains, the dancing scenes are delicious, the dialogues are funny, sarchastic and smart. I so loved it I even watched twice! And I’m sure I’ll watch more (because there’s absoluteluy nothing interesting to be watched now).

I also saw this “OK” thriller, Stay, with Ewan “HOT” McGregor, Naomi “Always Great” Watts and Ryan “Yummy” Goshlin.

Then, tonight, I saw a new Brazillian romantic comedy, ...Se Eu Fosse Você. Cool comedy about a couple that trades body (he becomes her and vice-versa)… no surprise! But it turned out to be funny and unpretentious. Besides, the lead actors, Glória Pires and Tony Ramos, are geniuses!

So, against my dad’s will we remained on the mall to see one more movie. The most awaited (by me) of the season: The Family Stone. I already knew Sarah Jessica Parker was nomineed for the Golden Globes, for this movie, but my main interest was my darling, loving, beautiful Rachel McAdams. Nevertheless, I got surprised by the whole cast. It’s the most adorable cast I’ve seen in ages! You absolutely love everyone in it. The movie is a bit Winter/Christmas Hollywood cliché, that everyone gets touched by the snow (what’s so thrilling about it anyway?), you laugh all the time and in end get all teary-eyed. But the cast saves it all: Diane Keaton is G-d, Luke Wilson is so sexy, hot and yummy as the geeky brother, same goes for McAdams (I already raved on her, so I’ll give you a break now), Claire Danes who is beyond beautiful, lovely and stunning, and Sarah, of course, is perfect! I’ll certainly be happy if she gets the Globe.

No comments: