BitchyList

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Today I finally watched Brokeback Mountain (BBM). And to my (non) surprise: I didn't like it that much!

Okay, the film is beautiful, sensitive and unpretentious. Ang Lee would've made an average love story movie if it weren't about gay cowboys. As my friend Le Ho said, if they were a boy and a girl BBM would be a mexican soap opera. Alright, shall I not be so bitter and say the good points of it first: Michelle Williams!!! I've always loved her since Dawson's Creek, but in BBM she was just genius! He made me like her more than the main characters. Same goes for Anne Hathaway that despite of appearing just to show her tits and bad dying was delicious as a clever and bright business womam former cowgirl. I also liked Heath Ledger! I mean, who'd say that 10 Things I Hate About You charming delinquent could actually act? I also liked the fact that we never feel like Lee is trying to make a gay or any kind of statement during the film.

That leads to main reason I didn't like the movie so much. I'm sorry but I got entangled in the whole gay icon crap that the movie (unintentionally) became!! As I said above, Ang Lee never said he was going to do a gay movie and suddenly the whole gay comunity was all fuzzy about it. Is Brokeback Mountain a controversial movie? Yes! Especially because Hollywood and society want us gays to be quiet in our closets listening to Madonna and Kylie Minogue, transforming sleezy straights into metrossexual blokes and being crazy and funny in Will And Grace! People can't just accept the fact that there are non-stereotype homossexuals, neither that a movie about them can be done. BUT, that was never what Ang Lee and his work were trying to say. In any moment you see "gay" or "queer" people there, you see two men that feel (sexual) attraction and end up falling in love with each other. But still the whole world spoiled it (at least to me) with stupid statements and ideals the movie never tried to endorse.

Other reasons that made me not love it: 1 - what a boring cinematography!!! After 30 minutes of movie I swore that if I saw any other sheep, I'd leave the room (si, yo soy a big fat drama queen)!! 2 - Jake Gyllenhal, all he did was stand there and be cute (as always), and his moustache freaked me out. 3 (to finish my whining): WHERE IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING WORLD THAT SCORE WAS BETTER THAN GEISHA'S?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean, who actually paid attention to that score?! I just remembered it got an Oscar when the movie was over and I was thinking about the awards it got. Williams was soooo robbed!!


[Song: Dangerous Game - Kylie Minogue... I just can't get it out of my head! (yay!! I'm corny)]

No comments: