BitchyList

Monday, November 26, 2007

The Hunter



It's taken me a month to finally be able write about my experience with Björk in Rio de Janeiro. This block isn't new or fruit of a lazy mind. Every single day when I listen to her I review the concert in my mind and feel all the shivers and rushes that that whole fatidical day in October caused in me. Who would know that after so many destiny bullies I'd spend 12 hours in a line to see the Icelandic birdie?
Actually I knew, the previous month was spent planning and dreaming about that October 26th and right early in the morning, Artur [my carioca friend and cicerone] and I left our friends' house in Tijuca and took the subway to Cinelândia [Rio's downtown]. There we had breakfast and walked to the Marina da Glória, where the concert was being held. Findind already 7 or 8 people there, we placed ourselves at the queue so we'd reach our goal: standing by the stage in the very front of Björk, so she'd hear us whenever we said we wanted to do her at anytime and place she wanted. Then we spend sharing live shows experiences, sheding our love for Björk wondering if she'd arrive by bike, submarine or pedalinho; there was also the famous Ivone Kassu, a woman we had no idea who was but the fact she had a line only for her guests to the festival - in other words, we were all dying to know who she was and to befriend the bitch.
At 8pm I was all cute and settled at the place I wished - right in the middle of the stage where her mic stem was placed, - but in the foray to get in I got lost from Artur and he ended up being a meter or two away from me; but I wouldn't move out of that place. How could I? Antony And The Johnsons's concert started half an hour later and it was a bit disappointing. Feist had cancelled all her left concerts in Brasil due to a labyrinthitis crisis; so they put Antony to substitute her at the other stage, hence his concert at the Tim Volta stage was 30 minutes long, plus the sound wasn't so good and the lighting awful. He at least was very nice in his timid way and sang The Crippled And The Starfish. Antony and The Johnsons are formed by a cello, guitars, a violin, a viola and Antony's piano - a band that mostly plays in theatres, so I loved when he said about the Tim arena "it's very interesting to perform in a place like this. It's like singing against the ocean."
That was such a Björk-esque line that I in the end didn't feel guilty by feeling a bit satisfied that his concert was that short. The anxiety to finally see my latest G-d live was starting to burst out through my years and mouth, in opposite to the ease I felt the whole day. As the holdies set up the stage, we could see Mark Bell and Damian Taylor setting their programming and electronic tables. Suddenly all the lights went out and the all-female brass piece, Wonderbrass, came performing the instrumental intro, Brennið Þið Vitar, instantly followed by the marvelous Earth Intruders.
Like mother Oceania, I blinked my eyes and there she was in front of me, all pretty and petite with her golden xmas-wrap dress and golden-glittered forehead. It was uncontrollable; the long shrill that left my mouth was simply uncontrollable - she was there right in front of me and I still couldn't believe my eyes. Right after came Hunter with its brand new mettalic beats and horns [instead of strings] section, and I noticed when she went down and picked something on the floor and hid it in her dress; by the end of the song she simply conjured a web... I cannot describe it, you'll have to see it for yourselves [on the video above].
And my orgasm went higher and higher as she gradually sang Pagan Poetry and Unravel [a song I'd never dreamed in seeing live], Jóga, Army Of Me and I Miss You. I couldn't stop moving and when my Marina da Gloria's theme, Wanderlust, was performed I was static and openmouthed. And when came HyperBallad - I knew the end was near. She sang the first verse of HyperBallad and then put her hand to her ear and beaconed for us to sing - she surely noticed we were singing at the top of our lings every single track from the setlist. So the rave began and along came Pluto and I wasn't myself anymore! I felt like a maniac triggered by those industrial beats and green lasers; I wouldn't stop jumping, but all around me no one would! Who dared was automatically moved by the crowd!!! The brass section gave an even scaried tone to the song. And as soon as it started it ended.
I was high on rapture, I still couldn't stop screaming! Some people around had tears in their eyes, but I was too hyped to cry. We all knew she'd be back for an encore, so the whole arena - more than four thousand people - started stomping our feets on the floor making a lot of noise for her return. And she quickly did and after presenting her fellow musicians they played the highly anticipated Declare Independence. I just have one thing to say: I DIED!
Artur met me later at the same spot I spent the whole show. I still couldn't move out of there, I couldn't leave that place! It was like I had this desperate desire of having her back! My throat was sore, my voice died with my body, because I was only standing due to inertia. So we left the arena sorethoated, full of Björkian confettis in the bags, 4 reais [5 dollars] poorer because of a bottle of water, but with a huge and happy afterglow.
...hence it felt as a dream comes true.
[Song: I Miss You - Björk]

No comments: