BitchyList

Friday, December 14, 2007

The Year Of The Bird: ...Getting To The Core

"The inner or deep part of an animal or plant structure."
Back in 2004 I had downloaded a recently relased album, by an eccentric artist from a quite unspoken European country. Few of her discography and history was known by me, who was simply enjoying the different and quirky sensations those fourteen songs used to bring me. Those weird vocals and dark uncommon beats really captivated me; until I made the mistake of wanting to know more about that unfamiliar woman by turning to her fanbase.
I've always believed that the musical experiences, though being so grand that should be shared, are innitially personal. Doesn't matter if you hear people's opinions about an art, in the very end it will be your feelings and intuition about it that will define your position towards that craftwork. But sometimes you turn to people for the sake of sharing and exchanging, and you might find yourself not prepared for that yet.
In 2004 it traumatized in a way that made me ignore the woman's art for the following two years, until I decided to mature about it and revalue my impressions. I did it in my best investigative style and by the end of 2006 I downloaded her main discography [the albums and the released greatest hits].
So in 2007 it was sort of inevitable that a new G-d would be hailed on my altar. Paraphrasing another G-d's song "the bird has flown," and it was up to me to follow her trace and know her upcoming and previous paths.
The more I digged in, the more fascinated by her sense of naturalness and deepness I would become. From all of her works, I had started with the most "serious" and "dark", the one that was most likely to disappoint me because of its inconvenience; so I was surrended by the Bird's beautiful feathers and wings, but mostly by her straight flights to the core of everything and her voice. Her proposals of profundity and philosophical search for the beggining of things fascinated me more and more.
But the most important part of it all, was that it inspired me. Inspired me not only to do my own quest for inner structure of everything in life, but to share it with the ones around me. Discoveries are meant to be shared, if not they lose their power and beauty: "let's open up, share!" In the end "peel[ing] of the layers, until you get to the core" was a mantra that would possess me throughout the year. But it was the urge to share it that made me seek and keep looking for the Bird's name: Isobel, Charlene, Mother Oceania...
[Song: Wanderlust - Björk]

No comments: