BitchyList

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Realizing Woody Allen

As I watched Scoop last Sunday it firstly didn't come to my mind how much I loved Allen. Now I realize that and I believe I've seen enough [Annie Hall, Mighty Afrodite, Everyone Says I Love You, Match Point and "Scoop"] to raise him as my favorite director. I am very aware that there is a lot more to see, but Scoop [which some says is disposable to his career] made me laugh in a way I haven't in the theatres in a long time.
His screen presence is so stunning [stealing each and every scene he's in] it makes us miss him even if the rest of the cast is just as marvelous. He plays the magician Splendini and I realized how the part fits Allen perfectly.
When I first watched "Everyone Says I Love You", every sequence gave me if not big fat laughs, huge and silly grins. And by the end, as if it weren't enough the man simply made Goldie Hawn float as she danced! Pure cinematic magic!! In "Annie Hall" I delighted myself with those scenes I had seen a million times before in other movies and even Brazillian novelas, realizing it was a recent-still-vivid pop culture icon I was dealing with. The Greek drama inspired "Mighty Afrodite" made me cum in a moment of my life I was studying those literary classics. And in "Match Point" he was able to turn Scarlett Johansson into an even more desireable woman, as if her herself wasn't enough.
The reality in his characters is so adorable as it is tangible; maybe because he taps to the psychotic aspect of human behavior and treats it with such a fine and witty dark humor; maybe because his self-deprecatory auter-egos are simply lovely by essence; the thing is: the more fucked up the character is the more close to ourselves it seems to be. Allen and Johansson's chemistry in "Scoop" is delicious; they seem the most natural you can get in a movie, making it looks like they're doing nothing most of the times. Maybe that's why everyone wants to work with him; it must surely be very challenging to look that laid back.
As for me, I only wish to be a quarter of the genius he is. Pretentious? Maybe. But can't a kid dream?
[Song: A Good Thing - Saint Etienne]

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Oh sweetheart, you've barely seen the so-so, wait 'til you get to the great Allen films.
You'll cum and believe me Scarlett has nothing compared to Mia Farrow.

marcela said...

I was debating as wether to see this film or to let it pass. I don't like Hugh Jackman very much, he isn't a very good reason to see a movie, but i think i'll have to stand him.