BitchyList

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Top 5 Björk Love Songs

It's more than official: I'm beyond addicted to Björk. So with that self-explanatory title I'll cut straightly to the list.
Memorable mentions:
- All Is Full Of Love - if there is always something we're looking for it is love; we wait for it to knock on our doors or even chase it till the last moment; but we never seem to reach it or are satisfied with it. So in this ode to the main subject of ours Björk kick our arses by saying "you just ain't receiving/your phone is off the hook/your doors are all shut".
- It's Oh So Quiet - although she banned the song, her performance of it is simply perfect and honest; not to mention the video [scroll down].
Top 5:
5. Who Is It? [from Medúlla]
In this Björk seems to be describing faith. Like in "All Is Full Of Love" where she tells us we must trust Who Is It? [WII] seems like the description of it. I believe that to have faith in something is to love it so much you believe in it, in a way it never lets you down, even when you don't get from it what you exactly wished. Sometimes I connect this with the Light, always giving us good despite we think it is or not; but it could be anything. As for the song it is a trip; Medúlla is closely my favorite of all Björk's solo albums I've listened so far; it was the first I ever heard and those eccentric vocal arrangements grabbed me by the balls at the first listening. WII's complicated and marvelous beats are all beatboxing [recorded in one take with no editing] and this is one of the happiest songs in the album that is mostly darkish.
4. Violently Happy [from Debut]
Obsession! Speak out if you never found yourself so crazy about someone you couldn't define your feelings anymore? *silence* What I most love about this song is that it's a massive ingenious dance track. Love makes you happy and gets so hype in a state you feel like you took Ecstasy... but the after-trip is never as pleaseant as the hightime.
3. Jóga [from Homogenic]
There's a little similarity between "It's Oh So Quiet" and this. In the former, the moment you fall in love you get in a state of emergency, that in Jóga is described with words instead of the wacko all over the place and lovely horn orchestra from the former. I love Jóga's classical solemn strings combined with the heavy ellectronic industrial-like beats; the beats feel catastrophic like the state of emergency while the strings makes you feel suspended, flying above all the mess and destruction, above reality: isn't it like being in love? You suddenly see mesmerizing emotional landscapes sided by a wish of lucidity, but still "it's where I want to be..."
2. Isobel [from Post]
"Maried to myself." Ever since I heard this song for the first time I saw myself in its lyrics. It is funny because the darky environment the melody creates hides the optmistic one the lyrics give. Isobel lives by herself always in the most unreachable places; but that's how she is, that's how she likes to be; it's her choice. Why do I consider this a love song, you might be asking. I always believed that to love one must firstly love himself. Isobel and I have no problem in living by ourselves, only having our own images and thoughts to love. Yes it's a bit egocentric and narcissistic, but as I said I believe it's the first step to get to loving anything else.
1. Possibly Maybe [from Post]
It is a bit of cliché to name it my favorite Björk love song; it's a love song without hope, fated to disappointment and heartbreak, and since I'm always an optimistic and hopeful romantic it makes no sense for me to elect this my favorite one. Yeah right! The suspense is a familiarly hated aspect of love and the things you hate the most are sometimes the ones that fascinate you. "Uncerainty excites me." What I most love about this song is the reality in it; it's like Isobel falling in love and stumbling directly to Hyper-Ballad's cliff: "As much as I definitely enjoy solitude/I wouldn't mind, perhaps/spending little time with you/sometimes, sometimes." And all of a sudden you're putting yourself to harm, loving electric shocks and destruction ["Mon petit vulcan...I keep calm /admiring your lava/I keep calm"]. Oh, the thrill! It's obvious it is not healthy ["I'm exhausted!"] but it's exciting, "who knows what's going to happen!"... we still tap ourselves to the bullying desire to know what's to come. The song is constructed in a way that transmits exactly this suspense; a downtempo ballad that feels like slow motion, the bassline is like the act of looking at the clock a million times in a one-minute interval, waiting for a phone call that will never come, facing the probabilities and the maybes. And to top it all it's scary!! The whispered possibly-maybes by the end sound like a little nightmare in which bleeding children chase you to death; and when you wake up, you still intentionaly think of them: "Since we broke up/I'm using lipstick again/I'll suck my tongue/in remembrance of you."

4 comments:

J.D. said...

All I know is Björk scares the crap out of me. Not just the swan, but mainly from MADtv. [shudders]

J.D. said...

You shouldn't have missed it. Excellence. Pure beautiful excellence.

And I like you, since you're always reliant for commenting. :)

Anonymous said...

sinto que esse post foi seu pedido de desculkpas por colocar a promíscua nelly furtado na frente da genial alanis morissette ali. aceito suas desculpas. hahaha, falando sério agora: björk é muito legal. se eu fizesse a lsta ia pirar a partir da número 2, pq a 1 COM CERTEZA é possibly maybe tb :D

lovU4ever

Anonymous said...

How about come to me ?