BitchyList

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oscaruary: Marion And Cate

Just to start: I hated Elizabeth 2 because it was such a bad and over-the-top movie. But I often give up and have fun with the bad and the over-the-top!! 300, for instanse, if it was just bad I would've slept in the theatre, but there were over-the-top naked abs so it was fun. But 300 didn't get an Oscar nod by simple default and detriment of others; in normal circumstances I'd raise my lovely middle finger and just enjoy the over-worked campiness of Shekhar Kapur's movie, but yes I'm obsessed like that and have nothing better to do with my time.
However, in my intellectual [indirect] quarrels with the ho, I read on his review:

But when minutes later she is screaming "I keep my bitches on my collars" you wonder when did Blanchett stop playing Elizabeth and a deranged Norma Desmond arrived to play the Queen of Hearts from "Alice in Wonderland".

That was the best description of Blanchett's performance in it and it made me laugh so much that, in spite of still thinking the film sucks and that she didn't deserve that nod, I feel like I could've tried and enjoyed it a bit more. Yesterday I watched the first Elizabeth on TV and I wondered how such an okay movie could become that Mariah Carey meets Cher Tour! The thing is that whenever I think of The Golden Age and its Best Actress nod, I think of all the better performances and films that didn't make it to the shortlist due to Cate's default. Argh, whatever, she's so great that even her bad acting is convincing.


However, there's the other woman. The French one who was able to turn watchable [at least once] the dull movie that was La Vie En Rose: Marion Cotillard. "La Vie" was so disappointing that at first I didn't care much about Cotillard in it. However, senses hit me and I came to terms of what a genius beyond mimicry performance it was. When comparing "La Vie" to Ray the ho said:

a better version of myself: what we must ask ourselves here is what impressed us about Marion that didn't move a nerve on us from Ray?
)( Lucas Silvertongue)( Dressed In Red: tell me ur thoughts
a better version of myself: I think it all lies in how unshowy marion is. Jamie Foxx was all about the show and the tics and the Ray-ness of Ray, while Marion plays Edith like a woman first and like a world known diva later. I love that very first scene when she sings, where you can see all this fear in her eyes and then she opens her mouth and knocks everyone off their chairs.


So I started wondering for the first time about the way biopics intend to show humanity from the artists and end up just blabering on the myth. And we came to the conclusion that what makes a performance close to real humanity are the details. I mentioned Reese Witherspoon's tapping foot in Walk The Line; as Jose cited: "like Marion's annoying laughter. You'd see Edith being that sort of vulgar laugher? [...] Yes! She was raised by prostitutes and lived in the streets a lot, she wasnt a Grace Kelly."


The de-glamming factor also came along:

a better version of myself: and while the film sucks, Marion is
undeniably brilliant.
)( Lucas Silvertongue)( Dressed In Red...: exactly, I didn't know she was that young ho! Somehow I am very glad that I knew nothing about her before watching the movie.
a better version of myself: and that beautiful too
)( Lucas Silvertongue)( Dressed In Red...: exactly, [and] I didn't feel abused by the deglaming while watching it. I even thought Marion was one of those legendary french actresses that worked once in a while now.
a better version of myself: but is it really deglamming all the way?
)( Lucas Silvertongue)( Dressed In Red...: I know. It's not ONLY deglaming. Like Berry.
a better version of myself: I mean Piaf might not've been clasically pretty, but she was beautiful in her own way. I think Theron and Swank are worst deglamming than Berry.

In the end, even though "La Vie En Rose" isn't the movie we expected it to be, it had cute intentions ["cause in a way the musical biopic needed some sort of shakeup", said the ho], plus Cotillard turns it into a must-see, only for her genius and captivating performance. That's why I believe she captured Piaf's aura, made it her own and returned as bursting with vivacity acting. For that reason, if Marion wins the Oscar I will not be angry.

- Previous Oscaruary:
Juno
[Song: Sea Lion Woman - Feist]

No comments: