BitchyList

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Waiting For Vodka

My day was about extremes.
First I was woken up by my dog who, sent by my father, came to gently lick my face. I was already awake so I rubbed his ears and and tamed my traitor. However, I was in moody mode; I skipped coffee [!!!] and went straight to my dad's room to watch Sex And The City's second season. Of course I had orgasmic moments following my favorite Manhattanites ever.
But right after it I decided to finally watch an oh-so-beloved movie I've always neglected. Requiem For A Dream was an experience that I wish I'll never repeat. Not that I hated the film, but I definitelly didn't love it either. I confess that I started to watch it with a slightly biased vision since I tend to dislike things commonly praised as masterpieces by most of people; the speedy edition, in my opinion, however interestingly experimental [sometimes it felt like a dark Jonas Åkerlund video], never let me really feel the power of the story. Being utterly honest I only felt it after the disturbingly grotesque final sequence when the credits came up, I took a breath, got up to the bathroom and in the way I felt my knees weaken and right there I had a mini-breakdown that lasted for half an hour. Ellen Burstyn is gorgeous and most of the times very touching in spite of the icy edition; Connelly and Leto are good as well but we never root or sympathize for their characters like we do for Burstyn's.
Nevertheless, I now believe the film never tried to arouse from us any other feeling than pity. Like every Realistic piece of art it only sheds the light on the wound, exposing its horrid anatomy and leaving it there for the world to see. Of course it has its value, but sincerely I'm not fan of these pessimistic points of view on humankind, that shocks you for a couple of hours or so but never sticks to your mind [and feelings] for more than the same time later. The film stands in a very comfortable position of show-and-run: [okay, I'm gonna be judgy now] very pleasant for bourgeois kids wanting to feel politically involved or intellectualized. They need things like "Requiem" to validate their shallow lives. These people raise the hype of such careless film and dislike real political pieces like The Constant Gardener. "Requiem", of course, makes you think [unless you're a cold and insensitive bitch] but it never gives you a direction or any possible remedy for the exposed tumor. You watch, feel the pity and totally forgets about it in a couple days. Ohhh... I LOVED the score though.
After such tough aesthetic images I needed some endorphin; couple of cappuccinos and chocolate cake later I got back home and watched the last Sex And The City's DVD. Oh my G-d!! I laughed my ass of with the infamous Miranda ejaculation scene on the "Was It Good For You" episode and got happy again.
BUT, [because my life without a drama ain't worthy] on the MSN I met my little ex-beau and as I engaded in a masochist chat with him I learned from him he was back together with his ex [the one he left me for] in a commitment free relationship. So, how do you think I felt? LOL!
So... all I wanted was a little dose [aka plenty] of vodka to get drunk and sleepy and be happy for the day. Well, dad didn't find any grocery open... GENIUS!!
[Song: Fidelity - Regina Spektor]

No comments: