BitchyList

Monday, January 22, 2007

Tia Antônia

I was always an imaginative person and always created fantasies about experiences I'd have. I fantasized my first kiss [it was nothing like I imagined] and although I hate to admit I still fantasize my first sexual experience. Another thing I always daydreamed about would be a life in Paris [or New York] where I'd sit at typical Parisian café [or even Starbucks] and have a cigarette or two while reading some Literature classics [or the "critics and comics alone"].

Vitória da Conquista used to be an undreamy town, where nothing interesting for a young and nerdy person like me would happen. There was no cinema, no drama theatre company or life... just bars, worst lousy bars soundtracked by bad Axé and Pagode. Two years and a half later I return to a town that seems to be in full crescendo; we finally have a considerable mall with an average multiplex [hurray to capitalism!], a French restaurant [!] and several thematic bars, loads of book shops [considering there was just one when I left]; but the thing that mostly hooks me is Conquista's very first café. Café Don'Antônia.

The rustic decoration resembles a typical Brazillian northeastern house, with dully lighten rooms and bare brick walls, where as you pass the foyer feels like you're in a misty dream that mix past and future. Cinnamon/coffee beans decorated tables plus antiquity books and records and an unused gramophone make you feel like you're in a cozy time travel. If not enough the coffee is great and the soundtrack is formed by chill lounge albums, classic sambas sung by modern sweet feminine voices and MPB... it'd be my dream come true if "Peach Trees" was an usual.

But now, in the month of January, before I go straight to the back yard [where there are tables and is the smoking area] the foyer catches my attention more than usual. I didn't mention before but the foyer is an art galery; each month is an artist's show but this month the costumers do the art. They placed inks, crayons and colour pencils and who enters are welcome to paint the walls. So, an award for the one who first guess which is my painting.


[Song: Peach Trees - Rufus Wainwright]

No comments: