BitchyList

Sunday, June 03, 2007

If My Current Life Were A Movie...

...It would be Notting Hill. I'll explain.
- William Thacker [Hugh Grant] - me
- Anna Scott [Julia Roberts] - you-know-who
Alright, today* I was supposed to study but I got drunk and decided to watch a movie to de-drunk myself. My choice was Notting Hill.
Why's it my life? Well at first: Hugh Grant plays a man, William Thacker, who lives in a not-so-splendid [until the movie of course] small "village inside of London", Notting Hill. It's the place where nothing extraordinary happens except for good Architect friends becoming chefs. Will has a travel-book shop; maybe because he always wanted to travel the world but couldn't afford. So, here I am: a soul with no nationality. I also wish I could travel the world but guess what: I can't afford!!!! And maybe that's why I spend most of my hours connected to the WWW. One fatidical day the greatest movie star of the world goes into his shop and his life changes dramatically. Uhh... he-who-must-not-be-named isn't a movie star, but if you consider our trajectory you'd agree with me that I was on my own, living my dull life, until this bitch came along with his "surreal, but nice" moments and turned everything upside down. He made the first move towards our first kiss, just like Anna does twice in the movie; and I had a rude awakening as well when the friend factor got into the screenplay.
That is why for the first time [that I can recall] in a movie I related myself to the hero, not the heroine. Even if I'm not as down to earth as Thacker I haven't fallen in love with so many people. Yeah, I've had some crushes, but love?... nah. Also, as hopeless romantics, Will and I tend to deify the people we're in love with; that's why we feel like there's no sunshine when we're heartbroken, wishing someone would mend our broken hearts. Besides, we both love Jane Austen.
This screening also made me cry like no other. I blame the booze, but you know I'm a drama-queen. When you-know-who ditched me, he said he could not understand how I would be in love with him, because I'm [as he views me] always this cool and hype person while he's a normal guy with self-steem issues. That is the only part when I identify myself with Roberts's character; when she said: "I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her," I had to pause the movie because the tears wouldn't let me read any subtitles or see anything else.
The way Notting Hill flirts with another favorite film of mine [Roman Holiday] makes me love it even more. I don't care if it weren't as bold as its 1953 inspiration, I actually love that Scott and Thacker stay together at the end; it gives me a stupid and useless sense of hope that in this low moment of my life is just soothing for my abstinence period. Grant's performance is my favarite of his so far; he often looks the same in evey movie he's in, but in here he's marvelously subtle, fabulously non-British [well, I tend to imagine British men as cold and sexy heartbreakers - like the ones he played on Bridget Jones and that silly Sandra Bullock co-starred romantic comedy Two Weeks Notice, - but in this he shows the romantic side of the British men]; he's always saying "classic" as a rememberance of Notting Hill's source, or a premonition of what the movie he's in would become for some people. As for Julia, she is G-d! You know how I love subtileness in acting performances and Julia's Scott is the epitome of that. Her expression variations are real and full of light, giving her Anna a depth of character as mesmerizing as Hepburn's in Roman Holiday. So, when she gets to that line which made me have a crying breakdown, there's no way you would not believe her.
In the end, I'll probably never have a press conference to change my life to a happy ending; and I'm working on not wishing for it anymore, I promise. But when the dog bites and the bee stings, I'll simply tap myself to my favorite things, the films, to make me live the happily-ever-after that still haven't happened to me.
*I was supposed to finish Kylie Minogue Week today. But I'm exhausted and still have to study, so to say this post has nothing to do with Kylie I'll just type the following words: can't get you out of my head, you're the one, your love, drunk, I don't need anyone.
[Song: She - Elvis Costello]

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Well, I won't bicker (even if I think "Roman Holiday" is vastly superior and more realistic u.u)
because this line "make me live the happily-ever-after that still haven't happened to me." is one of the most flawless things you've ever written and yet another thing we have in common.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Oh.
I bicker bout the Kylie Week negligence though!