BitchyList

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I Believe In Romance Films

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When I saw Pride And Prejudice's trailer I wanted to see it simply because it had Keira Knightley. Later she got that Oscar nod that made me even more willing to see it, then I found out the importance that Jane Austen's novel has in Brit Literature. I missed it at the theatre, but at the 1st moment I saw its poster at the video renter's window I could not miss it, so I rented.
Well, I adored it! At first the ironic and beyond funny dialogues made me think it as the best comedy I've ever seen. Then, the whole romantic plot and the sweetness of Joe Wright's direction are mesmerizing. Not only Knightley but simply everyone else in it is beyond perfect. Brenda Blethyn is genius as Mrs. Bennet. And uhg, of course, Matthew Macfadyen and Simon Woods are not only stupidly gorgeous but they can act! Macfadyen for instance is so subtle and poignant that his beauty doesn't only hypnotizes you but it makes you believe and desire him [or a man like him]; through him, Mr. Darcy's words are true and powerful. But the real delight of the film is indeed Keira. She's so sweet, subtle and humble that you can't help falling for her. And OMG, that score!!
But besides its cinematical features what makes "Pride and Prejudice" a lovely movie is how it reassures you the belief [and desire] in romanticism. Not the burgeois crap but the yearning for a real romance with a like-minded companion that will always be pushing your buttons and making you want to grow and to challenge yourself. As a true quirkyalone, Elizabeth Bennett chose celibacy instead of marrying a man she didn't love. And doesn't matter how corny it sounds, but for me she's a real inspiration.
The film is powerful that in the end my father and I had thick tears running down our faces. Well, everyone knows my dad and I are weepers, but he slept through good part of the movie, but still felt its power. Not only The Constant Gardener but also this one was totally robbed at the Academy Awards! Way better than those Crash or Brokeback Mountain craps.
Note to self: start reading the book "yesterday"!!
[Song: Pra Ser Sincero - Marisa Monte]

No comments: