BitchyList

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Madonna Week: Top 5 Madonna Live Moments

Yes!!! She's 49!! Every time I say that to people they either don't believe it or make wishes to be an almost-50-yr-old as hot as her. I don't need to wish that because I'm already as hot as her. Of course, I'm joking, but the thing is, if weren't for Madonna I wouldn't be this confident in my life. I recently said that The Power Of Good-Bye saved my life, but there are things from her, now that I'm already a die hard fan, that gets the best of me: the tours. Always multimedia concerts where she pushes all the buttons and boundaries of pop concerts. For the first installment of the Madonna Week, the ho and I chose our 5 most memorable moments of Madge on tours.
5. The Geisha Set - Drowned World Tour
Moi: It was the first Madonna live-thing that got me by the back and stunned. The naked upside-down dancers, the giant sleeves on Frozen's dress, the amulet on Nobody's Perfect, the kung fu fighting on Sky Fits Heaven, the beat up geisha on Mer Girl Part II, every little thing has a meaning and it's a marvel to unravel her art.
Ho: A dramatic performance of Frozen which has Madge dressed up as a neo Geisha leads us to one of the most creative set pieces she has ever done. Telling a small story of love, revenge and redemption she flies in the air, kicks everyone and ultimately is bruised and battered but with a smile of satisfaction in her face.
4. Like A Prayer - The Blonde Ambition Tour
Moi: There she is rubbing herself and shocking the puritans with that mock masturbation and suddenly the lights go out ['cept for a spotlight on her] and a voice goes: "G-d?!" That's how her heretic performance of "Like A Prayer" in the controversial BAT starts; to see her bouncing around like a naughty nun is like an adult and somewhat horny version of The Sound Of Music. Like she repeated couple of years later in Deeper And Deeper, "when you know the notes to sing you can sing most anything;" in her case: "you can do most anything".
Ho: In what would be seen by some as full catholicism mockery Madonna delivers the most lively performance of what's arguably her greatest song. Slowly giving path from the sacred to the mundane she does a remix of the song in which she is bold and even with the dated dance moves remains looking and feeling heavenly.
3. Vogue - The Re-Invention Tour
Moi: When it was confirmed at part of the 2004 tour's setlist I confess that I wasn't that familiar of it. Of course I knew it, but I was a newbie and didn't even know how to recite that marvelous rap with such grace. But when that woman on her late forties appeared on the stage with those boots flying on air while her head acted as base, I finally was certain that there was nothing she couldn't do. I now can recite the rap rap as graciously and still doing those Yoga moves.
Ho: Despite the lip synching, the mere sight of Madonna pulling off positions we mortals only would dream of and strutting her stuff in that beautiful corset, this performance injects energy and joy into anyone. Paying homage to her famous VMA performance she rocks the palace while her dancers strike poses and ask us to go along with the flow. To refuse it is out of the question.
2. The Cross [aka Live To Tell] - The Confessions Tour
Moi: Everyone's dang bored to know about all the controversy it dragged, so I'll just be about my feelings when I saw the beauty for the very first time. It was lazy bootleg video, but watchable; I, in contrary of everyone else, had decided not to judge the cross before seeing it. When that beautiful blonde woman appeared crucified my eyes were filled with water and when the final message was said I finally understood what that was all about; and I reverenced the Queen with tears.
Ho: As the distressing confessions from her dancers end, a church organ slowly fills the air and Madonna rises to the stage in a giant mirrored cross to sing one of her most powerful songs. Clad in a simple outfit and wearing a thorn cross she gives "Live To Tell" new life by making it about the apathy most people have and the way we ignore what's going on in the world. Before the performance is over, a giant blast of fire gives us chills and makes us feel for a second that we've descended to hell. For a minute back there, with all the controversy this performance sparked, I thought we were in the early 90s.
1. Erotica/You Thrill Me - The Confessions Tour
Moi: The routine, the sexiness, the marvelous new version the haunting Erotica got... I can't exactly decided what I like the most about this performance. The song made #3 on my last year's list and the choreography is the coolest I've ever imitated on parties [yes, I do such things]. Some might say that other more historic performances were more eligible for number one, but I don't give s hit for History, I just know this is the one that makes me feel like watching it forever.
Ho: For one, she completely reinvents a song which caused controversy when originally released because many people thought it to be too explicit. But with a new disco twist and a funky beat, she turns it into the ultimate love song, where we can't help falling in love with someone despite of their flaws. The routine is sexy as hell and Madge in that leotard puts anyone in a trance.

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

She thrills me!
She puts me in a trance!
When I find a guy who makes me feel like Erotica I'll know I've struck gold.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Oh and HAPPY BDAY MADGE!!!!!
Let's try to sneak into her party.