BitchyList

Friday, August 17, 2007

Madonna Week: The Kabbalist-Mother-Of-Two

Whenever they ask me which incarnation of Madonna is my favorite I sometimes bring some shock when I say "none". As a die-hard fan I'm supposed to pick a phase in which I like Madonna best; but since I don't give a shit for these kinds of supposed-tos I always answer that because I'm enjoying the current one. When I started my life as a fan I used to visit forums and message-boards and there I learned that many of the Madonna fans do exactly what she avoids in her career: worship the past. Like annoying widows who mourns the image of a long-time-gone husband, they whine over Dita [Erotica era] or Veronica Electronica [Ray Of Light era]. I never felt comfortable about that and done my studies I simply love whatever she's doing now.
But, if one day my life depended on my choosing a Madonna phase, I'd go with the one that woke me up for the existence of such G-d and so many other wonderful things: The Kabbalist-Mother-Of-Two [American Life era]. I already said that it was The Power Of Good-Bye that saved my life, but what woke me up was "American Life", the song filled with self-awareness and critic was taken with cynicism by many, but I felt humbled by that political statement. I was semi-aware of what Madonna had been till then, but didn't matter that much to me.
Seeing now, it is funny how I back then didn't evaluate her through her past, which is an always interesting premise to look on the Madonna phenomenon. Not that the past doesn't matter, but it's not what defines a person.
The American Life era was the one she spoke more cleary about her points of view on life, politics, society etc; she also showed the world how dedicated she was to the Kabbalah and that ended up influencing me somehow. Due to the American Life era I became a person more aware of the things around me and how my actions affect them, and though I'm still quite skeptical about many things, I learned not to surrender to cynicism.
Did I change because Madonna told me to? That's what cynics would say... I'd rather think I got inspired. And that's fine by me.
[Song: I'm So Stupid - Madonna]

1 comment:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Reinvent yourself or you can fuck off!