BitchyList

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

"Unthinkable Surprises" Top 5 [The 300rd Post]

I spent the last two days procrastinating this post; not the top 5, but the third hundred post of this blog. I remember that when I decided to return to the blogging world I wasn't so excited; I did it because the ho convinced me it could be a good thing. I'm not very good in counting things, that's surely why I'm majoring in Literature; I, for instance, just realized this blog is 2-years-old two days ago, by re-reading its very first post. But the posting numbers... well Blogger does that for me, so to celebrate my 300rd posting on this blog was just a question of planning. And from the not so excited beginning, Life's A Bitch became one of the most important and thrilling things from my daily routine, helping me to grow as a human being and especially as a writer.
Yes, I was procrastinating again. But now here I go with the 5 songs that have enlightened me to the point of changing my life.
But first, an honorable mention:
Björk - Surely there will be a couple of songs from this woman on this list [and you know which are the others who will feature as well], but it easilly could be all about her. Ever since I became a fan, Björk's melodies and lyrics have broadened my view on poetry in music, but mostly important, in life. With a premise of always writing optimistic songs, she has delivered a marvelous collection of songs that not only inspire you with the positive approach of living, but also move you emotionally. Some huge songs of hers will not be on the official top 5, but have same importance in my life; such as: All Is Full Of Love, Human Behavior, Isobel, Bachelorette, Oceania, I See Who You Are, It's In Our Hands, and the list goes on.
Top 5:
5. I Believe In You by Kylie Minogue
Kylie has the wrong fame of being a shallow pop singer. Whoever clicks on the "kylie minogue" label on this blog, though, and read all my postings dedicated to her, will be surely convinced she's no such thing; or simply download this song and you notice there's a surprising depth hidden under the all-over-the-place image.
This song's lyrics play with the opposites, but it's the incredulity declared on the verses that stricks me the most. I am and have been a cynic; not the evil kind I think, just the self-deprecating one. So, I strongly identify with the all "I don't believe"'s she declares on the verses. But guess what touched me deeply about this song? Yes, the leap of faith of the chorus. Every no wants to be a yes, every cynic wants to believe... Minogue's beautiful vocals chant the message that even the hardest of unbelievers has and wants something to believe in.
4. Unison by Björk
"Born stubborn me/Will always be/Before you count/One two three/I will have grown my own private branch/Of this tree/You gardener/You discipliner/Domestically/I can obey all of your rules/And still be, be/I never thought I would compromise/Let's unite tonight/We shouldn't fight/Embrace you tight/Let's unite tonight"
Do I really need to say more? But okay I will. This song brings me chills I cannot exactly describe; of course that they culminate on tears rolling down my face, as you probably have guessed, but the process is not so simple as that.
Unison is a song that could easily be the hymn of the UNO, if it really followed its original principles. I guess that what pokes me the most about this song is the fact that its message is fully discussed nowadays; the sense of union in the advantage of a common welfare is a longtime desired humankind's idea; but History has proved that it's been so hard to reach, not because of the hardness of the task, but the reluctancy of the human beings in letting go of our egos and sing in unison. So, when I listen to this song and it makes this beautifully hard task sound so simple as gorgeous, I can't help tears rolling down.
3. Chocolate by Kylie Minogue
You probably wondered what kind of depth there is in such song. I'll tell ya: Chocolate taught me to be patient on love, especially when it comes to my pickiness. "Oh, waited so long/I thought the real thing was a fake/I thought it was a tool to break me down/You proved me wrong again", as a sometimes cynic on love this song makes me tap to my hopeful side about it... even though sometimes it hurts.
But what I really learned from this song is that there's no limit on transforming the camp into something really artsy and classic-esque, especially when it's done by Minogue. With all the Jazz flirts Minogue proves she can do any style, adapting her voice to anything she puts herself through. What's the bottomline about this? Never underestimate geniuses.
2. It's Not Up To You by Björk
Well, I just think the lyrics are self-explanatory, check them out:
"I wake up/And the day feels/Broken/I tilt my head/I'm trying to get an angle/'cause the evening/I've always longed for/It could still happen/How do I master/The perfect day/Six glasses of water/Seven phonecalls/If you leave it alone/It might just happen/Anyway/It's not up to you/Oh it never really was/If you wake up/And the day feels/Ah broken/Just lean into the crack/And it will tremble/Ever so nicely/Notice/How it sparkles/Down there/I can decide/What I give/But it's not up to me/What I get given/Unthinkable surprises/About to happen/But what they are/It's not up to you/Well it never really was"
This song reassured in me a known concept, the one brought into my life by the 1st song from this list...
1. The Power Of Good-Bye by Madonna
No kidding: this song saved my life. In a moment I was dealing with a million trouble at the same time, like growing up and getting apart from my parents' concepts of life, my sexuality etc etc, this song concreted into my life the idea that nothing lasts forever, therefore, we must learn to embrace the power of good-bye. Once we know that life is filled with meaningful passages that have a begining, a middle and en end we know how to deal with life's obstacles better.
Even if there's a gloomy atmosphere about this song [it's about the end of an affair], for me it has only brought hope and faith that every death in life is the begining of something else new and fragile, that must be taken care of, so we have to adieu the previous one.

3 comments:

uma pessoa aleatória said...

hey ! what the hell is the url of my goddam blog doing in your blog's links list ?
lol ! ;D

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Yay Madge on number 1, see I knew it!

Emma said...

Heya!

Thanks for signing up to my “Performance that Changed Your Life” blogathon. Time has flown, and it is this Saturday! So this is just a poke from me to remind you.

Looking forward to reading your entry,
Emma.