BitchyList

Friday, July 13, 2007

Le Marce Interview

It took a while for my friend Marce, from The Dark Girl's Rhyme, send me the questions but I'm gladly and quickly answering them now.
1. Explain what talent or ability you don’t possess you would like to have.
Singing. I sing all the time; my dad sings okay, my late godmother sang beautifully and I have a dearly cousin, Clarissa, who sings like an angel [except that she's no angel at all]. I've always had a musical upbringing; more than anything else in life we had music in home, constantly. So I've always sung along; if you see me walking by or driving in a silent mode, it might not be me. But there's a problem, I have no vocal technique; sometimes I hear myself and know I don't have a horrible voice, others I just feel glad I'm home alone and nobody's hearing me... okay maybe the neighbors hate me. But I'm sure to do some vocal lessons in the future... I only hope the coach doesn't look at me and feel an unbearable urge to rip his/her ears off.
2. What event in your life, if any, has changed radically your way of thinking?
Among many, probably the most recent and vivid one: the post-teen crisis. Last year when I turned 19, my shrink told me about this mini-crisis that goes over most adolescents' heads; it's basically the fear of growing up, when you get to the age when you are a legal adult [you can buy lawful drugs like alcohol and cigarettes, and be arrested] but in your mind and actions you're still a teen. This is pretty shitty to most people because as you know, we're lazy as fuck and have egos lazy as fuck, so when there's a time of changing we somehow refuse to do so, that's why there's a lot of 18/20-years-old who act like twelves.
When I got to this I was already aware of it so I could recognize some things, like this little fear I have with responsability. The acknowledge of these aspects created my "about me" on the blogger profile [that one at the right-side bar]; in other ways, this crisis [that is still on] helps to look back and see I'm young and still have time to accomplish things, at the same time I look forward and know that even so I haven't got much time to waste.
3. What work of art has had a deep impact in your life? It can be a film, song, painting, book, sculpture, anything.
Since I'm a list whore I'll do a small one to answer this.
- Moulin Rouge turned me into a musicals lover, which had pretty much impact in my life, considering I'm always playing musicals in my head, like Selma: "There is always someone to catch me/When I'd fall."
- The book Sophie's World changed my life; it helped me seeing that this life could be just a tale from someone else's imagination, that could end at anytime and for that I must be present and living all the time. Sounds corny, but it had a damn effect on me... and the book is not a pinch corny.
- Well, I did a while ago a top 5 with the songs that changed my life; if interested just read the Unthinkable Surprises Top 5.
4. Explain the most irrational fear you have.
Spiders. I have no idea when it started; probably one day I just woke up and my brain decided I hated them. Nah, actually I recall that one of my most meaningful childhood traumas was watching the movie Arachnophobia, ever since I don't wear a pair of pants or shoes without shaking them off crazily to see if they're free of these eight-legged monsters. I'm scared of them all, even the tiny useless ones that hasn't enough poison to make a wound, still sting and I know it hurts, even if I never were stung by any.
5. If you were a musician, what kind of band would you have and what kind of music would you play? Name that band.
It'd be a poser band à lá Cansei de Ser Sexy. The performances would be in a rockish-poser form and I'd be the lead singer of course; the job would be performed in the best Madonna style and the repertoire would include, besides our own compositions, pop classics from Madonna [duh], Kylie, Björk and everyone else we liked. The band would be called The Drunkards or The Cigarette Club.

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Yay let's form a band, my neighbors hate my singing too so let's call it "The Unfriendly Neighbors" and have duets as we come swinging in huge moons and doing the crying game!

marcela said...

I knew you would like to be a singer! I don't know why, but when i thought of that question i imagined your answer. I feel the same way, maybe because we understand the power and influence music has on us, and can have on so many people.

I read "Sophie's world" about 5 years ago, while i was still in high school, and it opened for me a whole universe of writers and thinkers i always thought they were too complicated to be understood by a non-scholar, it's really great.

Thank you so much for answering!