BitchyList

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger And The Infinite Possibilities

Ever since watched on 10 Things I Hate About You Heath Ledger was for me a rising star. With his sexy and piercing Australian smile he shone before my eyes whenever I saw him onscreen. Firstly all the hype gotten with Brokeback Mountain excited me, then it bored me because BBM bored me; but his performance was never snubbed in my mind. For me he was already a great actor of his generation.
Celebrities in our time are the kings and queens of the past; and the media's high speed makes us know about their lives faster, having us feeling intimate with them more than what we wished. So, when a celebrity dies it's normal to have a commotion everywhere. To learn about Heath's sudden death was and has been shocking. People, and even us sometimes, might act skeptic about feelings over a stranger's death, but any death is close.
Now, as I mull over the facts and see how much people are putting the effort in trying to figure out such sudden loss, I feel my heart weight down and my mind wheel as I read more and more stuff about his supposed last hours. Why? Why am I affected by a distant celebrity's departure?
I guess that the reason lies more on what Ledger represented to me and my generation than Ledger himself.
Ledger represented the young promises, the infinite possibilities, the limitless ability and capacity. He characterized youth and his deep and long future. And with his death, it is the death of all of those things. No one imagines someone dying so young and that's why it's so shocking, especially because his deeds has been serving as models for many others from his age or younger. At this moment I not only speak of Mr. Ledger, but also of every promising youngster - famous or not - who died before all the promises inherent to his being became facts.
Heath Ledger however, will also be very missed.

1 comment:

lawyer tony fernando said...

you said it all, thank u!