BitchyList

Friday, January 11, 2008

Oh Keira!!

I'm fond of novelas and last year there was one that thrilled me the most. A sort of screwball comedy about six childhood friends having their chance again together as adults. One of them was played by stunningly beautiful actress, Juliana Paes. She's the typical TV actress who's mostly there for her looks than for her acting. However, in this novela she surprisingly shone and I thought that maybe, under a decent direction and a better text than a good-but-still-subdued-by-ratings soap she could do a good job.
Joe Wright's brilliant second film Atonement is not a bit close of a soap, but I remembered Paes as I saw Keira Kightley moving vivaciously on that mesmerizing emerald dress. Often bashed for her crappy movies [yes, I'm talking about Pirates], but it's incredible how much she shines and impresses when in a greatly directed movie. In her first work with Wright, my beloved Pride & Prejudice, she not only got an Oscar nod as she grabbed me by the balls and made me love her craft despite the previous shitty movies. In Atonement she steals you with a performance so filled with fire and maturity that your heart coldily warms every time her beautiful glance fills the screen with Cecilia's sorrow.
As a cinephile-wannabe I admit I still don't know much about films' techniques and specialities, but I can recognize a good acting performance when I see one. Keira's efforts on Wright's movies are for me top of the line stuffs, enough to place her among my favorite actresses alive. So I shall pray for one thing "oh Keira, keep doing at least a decent good film a year!" That would make me cinematically happy in every twelve months. Atonement is a last year's movie and it satiated my 2007 Keira thrist, as much as it did for my 2007 film craving so far. I still have other to see, but this movie made chill with each and every frame of it.
[Song: Briony - Dario Marianelli]

1 comment:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Ho McAvoy reminds me soooooooooo much of Brian!
I think it's the nose and the eyes.
Anyway's I'll Briony myself up and write me a kinky story bout him.