BitchyList

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Young Death

I'm still trying to cope with my feelings towards Heath Ledger's death.
For a while I was feeling guilty for being sad about the death of a celebrity while tons of people die this young here in Brasil. Then I started to think why was I sad and why should I feel guilty. First, just because he was a celebrity doesn't mean we can't feel his death; I read this on TFE:
"It's a media saturated voyeuristic age and we are essentially encouraged from all sides to be interested in the lives of beautiful strangers. And the movies have always served as an enticing proxy, a heightened version of real life; Experience this story. Feel this catharsis. Relate to this performance."
That way my guilt for mourning someone famous' death more than I mourned my granduncle's went away. It's not like I'm putting Ledger on the stupid "hero" pedestal, but to understand my feelings towards it I'm considering his death as not a "celebrity tragic death", but as "a young man's tragic death".
As every other young man, Heath Ledger was a well of possibilities; the difference is that we knew it because the media showed/told us all the time and we chose to see/listent to it. But that's where my feelings stop, I guess. I'm not worried in defining how and why Ledger died; my heart is only trying to understand why his death is tragic. And that's what I wrote on the previous post mean.
Those lesser things will be learned by us after scientific report about his death. Autopsy will determine how and why he died. For now I can only think what does it all mean to mean...
[Song: I Don't Blame You - Cat Power]

No comments: