BitchyList

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Thoughts During [And After] The Oscar Nods

This is the first time I do it this way. I woke up early to run to the PC and see the nods announcement live by streaming. So, I finally installed the needed plug-in and few minutes later the old man I forgot the name was there to announce the top 5 names on each of the main categories, and to assist him was lovely Kathy Bates. But I was sooooooo excited and so in a hurry to open this f-ing Blogger page that I barely looked at their faces.
So the nods!
- Supporting Actress: I stomped my fet happily when Saoirse Ronan was anounced for Atonement. All the others were absolutely no surprise for me; they even said Blanchett for I'm Not There first, displaying a major lack of sense of suspense, but okay. After having watched Juno the night before I had a little silly spark inside me that hoped Jen Garner would be the year's big surprise. But well, nah.
- Supporting Actor: my jaw dropped as I heard Casey Affleck's name for The Assassiantion. Not that I thought it was surprise, but that instantly something clicked inside and I imagined the Affleck love being spread all over the Oscars and having the other Affleck as best director. But as for the rest of the guys, it'll be my new catch-phrase: NO SURPRISE AT ALL.
- Actress: Made me happy: Ellen Page [Juno], Julie Christie [Away From Her] and Laura Linney [The Savages]. Made me a bit angry: Cate Blanchett for The Golden Age, simply because every reviewer I read hated it and it's a common sense it is a shitty movie, so her nod is pure blind love. Alright alright, Cate IS the wonderful actress they're trying to convince us she is. But that's it AMPAS, we already know she is! Long time before you do dopeheads!! So in my hurt and resentful heart you should've saved that spot for someone who was in a more deserving film; let's say: Keira Knightley!! Okay, it was obvious I'd go that road. The other nominee that gave me no as much thrill as I had for the others was Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose, the best part of it was the old guy trying to pronounce her name properly but never succeeding it. Linney also left a bit surprised because I've seen almost no buzz at all for The Savages; but I'm sure she's exquisite in it, as always, so torrents here I go.
- Actor: At first I got angry about McAvoy's snub, but then I remembered/realized that despite wonderful his character wasn't that big. Tommy Lee Jones [In The Valley Of Elah] was a surprise for me and so was Emile Hirsch's [Into The Wild] snub. At first I got angry with Depp there but then I pinched myself to remind me I still haven't seen Sweeney Todd and that despite the annoying hype and the I-wanna-be-a-freak rut that Depp's in, he tends to be a good actor. And YES, love for Viggo Mortenson [Eastern Promises]! Whom I'll hopefully see today on my lovely PC so I can cheer for him, now that my dream of Atonement was semi-crushed.
- Director: honestly, the only surprise was Julian Schnabel for French Diving Bell And Butterfly, but not so much at its nomination in fact, but the fact he's foreign; but then I go again, why am I surprised? AMPAS is not that xenophobe. I'm happy for Jason Reitman's [Juno] nod but nothing surprised me here.
- Original Screenplay: You have no idea of how much I cheered and jumped as I heard Diablo Cody's Juno. Apart from Ratatouille I still haven't seen any of the others, so I can't say I'm totally happy or not with this. But according to the buzz there's no surprise to be happy at.
- Adapted Screenplay: Finally the love for Atonement starts to be shown!! But, alright I know about the unfair Atonement backlash, I can't say I fully understand it but I know about it. But I'm happy Christopher Hampton's genius screenplay was considered, even if I know it will not win; unless AMPAS is really up to surprising us. I also was happy for Sarah Polley's nod, because Away From Her is a marvel of a story. As for the others I'm still to watch.
- Foreign Film: Isreal, Austria, Poland, Kazakshtan and Russia; which means: no Brasil. Can't say I'm not disappointed, but I haven't seen the others yet - so I have till 24th February to be mad at AMPAS.
- Animated Film: When the Foreign Film shortlist was out last week I saw a huge and angry uproar for France's Persepolis and Romania's 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days. I haven't watched any of them yet and for the whole anger they're supposed to be good. But, in my humble opinion I always knew Persepolis would be in for animated film, after all it IS an animated film, so I never really understood it's snub at the foreign film category, but kept my mouth shut, after all what do I know? But yeah, guess I was right all the time.
- Best Picture: The love for Atonement is shown at its best and I'm wonderfully happy! But as for the rest there is no surprise at all! I wasn't expecting any though. I'm happy for Juno's nod and I'm pretty sure of the best contenders for this cat this year, so I'm not very excited about it as I am for the acting fields.
And since surprise was probably the most prominent word on this post, the old bitch guy is saying that the show is A SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That it will either happen or notm depending on how the Writer's strike will end!! Can you believe it? All the suspense they didn't give us for Blanchett's nods they're giving on this. But as for what concerns the nods, really: no surprise at all.
[Song: Ghost Song - Patrick Wolf]

No comments: