BitchyList

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Kylie Minogue Week: Top 10 Best Underused Songs

[click on the songs to download*]
There are always those tracks from our favorite artists' albums that are never used, either as b-sides or in live concerts, and we don't understand why, because they're simply perfect and sometimes better [in our opinions] than certain choices. So, as continuation of the Kylie Minogue week here's the top 10 favorite songs, never used in a show, or as a single or b-side, or even officially released.
Honorable mentions:
- Give Me Just A Little More Time [from Let's Get To It]
I don't understand how this uplifting and charming cover was never sung live while other boring ones, like Tears On My Pillow and Celebration [luv it, but prefer "Gimme"], were. And the fact it was a single release makes me even more disappointed whenever a tour setlist is announced and it's not there.
- Secret (Take You Home) [from Body Language]
It was performed live on the BL release pocket show, Money Can't Buy, but despite rumors at the time, was never released as a single. And it should! It's totally fun and Kylie RAPS in it!! Man, it's so cool!
- Drunk [from Impossible Princess]
When I reviewed Impossible Princess on a forum I said this to be my favorite song on the album; and it still is. The restless song about love obsession [ha! that's why I like it... duh!] is one of her best constructions. Both song and lyrics are all over the place and loud as if she's really drunk and G-d, the way she sings it! Simply genius.
10. Where In The World? [from Greatest Hits]
When I first heard this song I didn't care much about it. Truth be told it's a bit corny edging the tacky; but there's a drama-queen aspect about it, sung by Kylie with her usual heartbroken tone, that made this song suddenly find its way into me.
9. Time Will Pass You By [from Kylie Minogue (aka KM94)]
This song is so gay! In all conotations of the word. But if you're one of those who love uplifting songs you can't deny this song's charm. Check out the chorus and you'll totally understand what I'm talking about: "life is just a precious minute baby/open up your eyes and see it baby/give yourself a better chance because/time will pass you, right on by." It is so enchanting and combined to the song's happy beats and campy sax solo, make the track perfect for playing on a prom party or for your corniest moment in convincing a guy he should pick you. [Note to self: you're allowed to love this song, of course, but totally prohibited of executing this latter idea.]
8. Someday [from Body Language]
There's an ambient feeling in this track that is simply soothing, plus Kylie's acute vocals sound to be cooing into your ear the rather bitter lyrics; if I ever have a lounge bar this song will be a constant play. I've always imagined an artsy video for this, playing with lights and tones of beige, while Kylie would be in perfect black, dark like the lyrics and the genius bassline. Oh the bassline! Do yourselves a favor, download this and listen to it. Simply genius.
7. Disco Down [from Light Years]
This song is an example of my favorite Kylie contradiction. You all know that I adore the fact Kylie's songs are mostly massive dance tracks combined with some of the saddest lyrics in Pop music. "Disco Down" is the epitome of this Kylie aspect. The song's electronically involving synths and beats and the cute bells cheer you up, until you hear the lyrics. She should be arrested for playing this way with us, because you oughta be really drunk to ignore this song's sad and full of saudade story. Okay, check out the chorus and you'll totally understand what I mean: "and you turned my world around/when you burned this disco down/why'd you leave to find yourself/I can't dance with no-one else/and still there's memories of this town/when you burned this disco down/[and after all this time, I still wonder where you are]."
6. I'm Sorry [unreleased]
This song from the Body Language sessions was leaked last year on the web, and it instantly became a favorite. I particularly like to listen to it while I drive; there's one thing about it that I both love and dread, and am always craving for: the feeling of possiblity. When you fall in love everything seems fresh and new, but Kylie [geniusly] pull herself/us straight to reality saying: "I don't ever want to say that I must go/I don't ever want to say I'm sorry/if you ever feel those words then let me know/I don't ever want to hear I'm sorry."
5. Sweet Music [from Body Language]
Body Language is all about bottom. Every single song has basslines perfectly constructed to make you move your hips even if you don't know how to. This lovely meta-song is obviously about sex, but the way it uses music writing process elements as a metaphor to the sexual seduction and consumation is funny, adorable and clever, something that even fans I bet never paid much attention to.
4. I Don't Need Anyone [from Impossible Princess]
This and Some Kind Of Bliss were the starting points of the genius Impossible Princess album. Until Impossible Princess, Kylie had always written "safe - just neatly rhymed words" and IP was a turning point in Kylie's career both lyrically and musically. An album that mostly runs away from her known dance basis, it has lot of rock elements and more confessional and poetic lyrics. The album of course wasn't well received by the general public and some critics.
"I Don't Need Anyone" is an ironic piece in which Kylie declares a self-sufficiency that captivates especially my bitchy side. The chorus goes "I don't anyone/except for someone that I don't know" and is the claiming of a person that is still looking after someone to complete her, even if she doesn't like to clearly admit it. You know that's me you guys.
3. Automatic Love [from Kylie Minogue]
This love song, third part of what I call The Dramatic Trilogy [its predecedors are Put Yourself In My Place and Dangerous Game] from the KM94 album, is simply a lovely song. The strings section here is magnificent, combined with a minimalistic piano and Kylie's heartfelt vocals. Its beauty takes you by surprise like the love it describes. For me it's a big shame that this track was so underused; to say it was never considered it was sung live in a talk show in Portugal back in 1994, but the fact it was totally ignored as single and on tours makes my drama-queen side work on full mode.
2. Lovin' You [unreleased]
When her second greatest hits compilation, the Ultimate Kylie, was planned, some songs were written. One of them was instantly chosen to appear on the album: the marvelous Scissor Sisters collaboration I Believe In You; but as I once read on Kylie forums [can't say if this info is totally true], when it came time to choose the other track, she picked Giving You Up instead of Lovin' You. Even if I adore GYU to death, I love Lovin' You forever. The quirkyalone song about loving a person and still maintaining the individuality has lounge-esque synths combined with perfect dance beats, and is to be my eternal anthem. It also escapes from Kylie's routine of being heartbreaking even on uptempo tracks; the fact she dared to do something different from her costumary [even if involuntary] premise puts this song on my all time favorites list.
1. Your Love [from Fever]
The fact that this song was never ever used anywhere is for me one of the greatest injustices from Kylie's career. It completely possessed me at the first hearing; the helplessly romantic lyrics are sung with one of Kylie's best vocal moments. Her performance is of course heartfelt and -breaking that fits perfectly the beautiful acoustic guitar that goes along with it. When I checked out the KylieFever 2002 setlist and noticed it wasn't there I surely got disappointed; sounding like an ode to the fans it would work as a perfect faux-end, right after Better The Devil You Know. But nah, it was not only discarded there as it remains as one of the biggest ignored tracks of hers, even by the fans [which for me is a huge sin].
[*note to whoever: if you ever run into this post and the links are broken, leave a comment on the latest entry with your email and I'll gladly send the song you want.]

2 comments:

Nathália said...

Preciso ouvir todas! =)

'Lovin you' e 'your love' principalmente! ;)

Amo você.
Faça jornalismo logo! =D

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

This list both makes me aww and pisses me! That woman hates us/loves us!
I've imagined a video to "Your Love" a million times in my head.